🗞🔖👤
A66 crash scene near Middlesbrough where seven people were killed

Seven Killed on A66 After Police Abandon Car Pursuit Seconds Before Crash

📅 Aug 23, 2026⏱ 2 min read💬 0 comments🔴 Live updates

Seven people lost their lives on the A66 dual carriageway near Middlesbrough in the early hours of Sunday after police abandoned a high-speed pursuit seconds before the vehicle crossed into oncoming traffic and struck a police car. All five occupants of the suspect vehicle and two Cleveland Police officers on duty were killed.

Victims Identified

The five men in the Volkswagen Passat were Michael Robert Cahill, 23, Jacob Matusiak, 23, Theo Rae, 17, Makai Saddington, 18, and Cole Robert Worthy, 17. PC Matthew Blades, 37, and PC Tom Clough, 38, were positioned on the correct side of the road to assist in searching for the vehicle when the Passat struck their patrol car at approximately 03:39 BST.

Pursuit Lasted Under Seven Minutes

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said Cleveland Police had been chasing the Passat after it was flagged by an ANPR camera for using cloned registration plates linked to multiple incidents. Dashcam footage showed the pursuit lasted just under seven minutes. Officers abandoned the chase the moment the Passat moved to the wrong side of the carriageway, but the collision occurred approximately ten seconds later.

Investigation and Reactions

The IOPC launched a mandatory investigation immediately. Chief Constable Victoria Fuller called it an incredibly sad day for Cleveland and personally visited the officers' families. Politicians across the spectrum, including senior government ministers and Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, expressed condolences. Redcar MP Anna Turley said it was devastating, and Cleveland Police Federation chairwoman Lauren Somerville said words cannot describe the pain the force is feeling.

Source: BBC News
Discussion 0

We use cookies to improve your experience. Privacy Policy